As we age, our face loses volume due to a reduction in collagen, fat, muscle, and bone. The middle layer of our skin thins and becomes drier and less elastic. Although we usually would applaud the loss of fat, a youthful appearance requires well-placed facial fat. As the structures of the face fade away, the skin on the face loses structural support. Fine lines, wrinkles, and hollow spaces begin to form due to the loss of volume and structural support. We have several effective and instantaneous solutions to restore volume in the face and provide those lost structural supports.
How to Restore Volume to Your Face
Dermal fillers are the quickest way to restore volume and structure to the face. These speedy products produce instant results with the choice of a traditional filler and/or a collagen stimulator:
- Traditional fillers are soft liquids or gels that are injected into the area of concern. They fill the empty space in the dermis or subcutaneous layer of the skin and soften or diminish wrinkles, reduce the appearance of fine lines, plump or restore lips, and restore volume to hollowed cheeks, chin, or mouth regions.
- Collagen stimulators replace the skin’s lost collagen. They are also injected into the dermis or subcutaneous layer of the skin, and they fill spaces that have lost or decreased collagen. The collagen stimulator forms a structural framework, which holds hyaluronic acid (which restores moisture by attracting water molecules) and elastin (which provides elasticity).
Many different fillers are available these days, so be sure to discuss your skin type, your concerns, and your goals with a skin care technician to figure out which product is right for you. Here are some of your options:
- Radiesse® is a synthetic calcium filler that restores facial volume and structure and can reduce moderate-to-severe wrinkles by stimulating your body’s natural collagen. It is white-based, so it must be injected deep into the tissue to ensure that it can’t be seen through the skin. You can expect it to last 12-15 months.
- Belotero Balance® replaces hyaluronic acid to plump the skin and smooth wrinkles. Because it is precise, it works well for treating fine lines, and because it is clear, you will not have to worry about it showing beneath the skin.
- Juvederm® is a hyaluronic acid filler that treats lines on the sides of the nose and mouth (i.e., parentheses lines) and adds volume to lips. Like most all lip fillers, it will last about 6-12 months.
- Perlane® and Restylane® are hyaluronic acid fillers that correct moderate to severe wrinkles and folds by adding volume. They last about 6-12 months.
- Sculptra Aesthetic® is a dermal filler that is injected deep beneath the muscle in a liquid seed form. It stimulates your skin’s collagen growth, and although it works well on most areas of the face, it should not be used on the lips or any surface wrinkles. You can expect the results to last about two years.
In addition, consider asking about our eprime™ laser, which offers a more natural approach to volume restoration. The eprime laser stimulates your body’s own hyaluronic acid, collagen, and elastin to reform and tighten. The treatment is quick, requires minimal downtime, and works on all skin types.
If you’re interested in receiving a dermal filler or laser treatment to restore volume and structure in your face, please contact DermaHealth Laser & Skin Care Clinic, based in Springfield, Missouri. Our experienced and dedicated staff will be happy to help you soften the aging process. To get started, simply give us a call at 417-447-7777 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.